, Fallen in 1418 to the hands of the English, Cherbourg, the last English possession of the Duchy of Normandy after the Battle of Formigny, was released on 12 August 1450. Recommended option. Head to sights like Emmanuel Liais Park and La Cité de la Mer as you discover Cherbourg-en-Cotentin—an area also notable for its port. In 1686, Vauban offered to strengthen the fortifications of Cherbourg, and close Cherbourg Harbour with two sea walls, but preferred La Hogue for the establishment of a major military port. Despite this redistribution often perceived as advantageous for the right, the outgoing Socialist deputy of the 5th constituency, Bernard Cazeneuve, was re-elected in the first round with 55% of the vote. Yet long before, at the time of the splendor of the transatlantic liners, Cherbourg was a port of arrival, departure or transit for many stars, including Charlie Chaplin and Burt Lancaster, etc. The smokestack of the Abbey House (16th century) is kept in the council room of the city hall, the west portal of the Church (13th century) is placed in the public garden [fr]. The capacity of the city was, as of 1 January 2007, 15 hotels and 429 rooms. Bordered by the Gulf Stream, it is a land where enthusiastic botanists have grown exotic plants from the southern hemisphere like the botanical garden of Vauville, surrounding the family chateau. Historically, Cherbourg-en-Cotentin is at the western end of Route nationale 13, which runs through the city by the "Rouges Terres" and the Avenue de Paris, from La Glacerie. Profitieren Sie von unseren Top Reisedeals: Hotels, Attraktionen oder kombinierte Flug- & Hotelangebote. Located in the cultural centre, at the back of the theatre, it presents paintings by French, Flemish, Spanish and Italian artists, as well as sculptures. Teurthéville-hague Gite, 3 Zimmer, 5 Personen in Ihren Listen speichern. The statue, erected in 1858 on the occasion of the visit of Napoleon III, recalls the importance of the Emperor in the expansion of Cherbourg. A stopping point for prestigious transatlantic liners in the first half of the 20th century, Cherbourg was the primary goal of US troops during the invasion of Normandy in 1944. , The monument of the Duke of Berry, in the Place de la République, commemorates the landing of the son of the future Charles X, back in France on the British frigate Eurotas on 13 April 1814, after the fall of the Empire. Cherbourg and Octeville have two different profiles. Yet Cherbourg remained a base of the first order of the National Navy, as the seat of the Maritime Prefecture of Manche and the North Sea [fr] and of the Maritime Gendarmerie grouping of Manche. At this time the port embraced the transatlantic epic. , Between the 1970s and 1990s, the two major projects of northern Cotentin, the La Hague reprocessing plant and the Flamanville Nuclear Power Plant, accentuated the industrial development of a city that saw a golden age through what the journalist François Simon called "industries of death", since about two thirds of the local industrial fabric was related to defence and the nuclear industry.. Ob du lieber wanderst oder Rad fährst, die 20 besten Attraktionen warten nur darauf, von dir entdeckt zu werden – oder von der ganzen Familie. Cap de la Hague - Cotentin - Auderville Ferienunterkunft - Urlaub & Wochenende in La Hague. Funded by a subscription launched by the municipality in 1886 and taken over by Parisian circles, the realisation of the marble bust (1.05 m (3.4 ft) high) was entrusted to Henri Chapu; after his death, it was completed by his pupil Jean-Ernest Bouteiller who had assisted him in the allegorical group in bronze (2.95 m (9.7 ft) high) of a peasant woman with her daughter in arms and laying flowers of the fields on the bust, supported on a pedestal and granite rocks (4.45 m (14.6 ft) high, 2.55 m (8.4 ft) wide, 2.6 m (8.5 ft) of depth). Cherbourg maintains decentralised co-operation with: Louis XVI removed the viscountcy of Cherbourg by edict in November 1771, and transferred the rights of justice to the Bailiwick of Valognes. It houses the altars of the Virgin (1863) by François Fréret and Saint-Clément (1864) by Louis-Victor Fréret, acquired from the Basilica of Sainte-Trinité in 1846, an organ (1881), painting of the twelve apostles (1935) the Rock of Césigné and stained glass (1953) of Mauméjean.. The Cité de la Mer, is a large museum devoted to scientific and historical aspects of maritime subjects. Benoîtville (50045) 9. Januar 2017) im Département Manche in der Region Normandie.Sie gehört zum Arrondissement Cherbourg und zum Kanton La Hague. The first horse race organised in Normandy took place in Cherbourg in September 1836 on the (now gone) beachfront along the boulevard maritime, at the initiative of Éphrem Houël [fr], the officer of the stud. Home; FAQ  The so-called Demoiselles de Cherbourg [fr] are small lobsters. ), armada, sailing races and such. Folgen Sie den Spuren der Landung der Alliierten.  Félix Amiot's shipyard Constructions Mécaniques de Normandie, specialised in military armaments, became famous during the Christmas of 1969 in an episode of the Cherbourg Project. The correctional court closed after the Act of 17 February 1800 and Cherbourg was made a town and township of the Arrondissement of Valognes [fr]. Die Weiler von La Hague sind ganz und gar typisch für die Region und sind allein schon einen Ausflug wert. In 1404, it was returned to Charles VI of France, in exchange for the Duchy of Nemours. The Institute of the Film Industry of Normandy is installed as a result of the International School of Audiovisual Creation and Realisation (EICAR) on the site of the former maritime hospital [fr]. Recommended option. After a month of demining and repairs by American and French engineers, the port, completely razed by the Germans and the bombing, welcomed the first Liberty ships and became, until the victory of 1945, the busiest port in the world, with traffic double that of New York. Online buchen. The city has the central office [fr] of two cantons: Canton of Cherbourg-Octeville-1 (to the west) and Cherbourg-Octeville-2 (in the east, which also includes the town of La Glacerie). Cherbourg regularly hosts stages of sailing competitions such as the Solitaire du Figaro, the Course de l'Europe [fr], the Challenge Mondial Assistance, the Tour de France à la voile, and the Tall Ships' Race. Two bronze reliefs evoke the military (a sword) and parliamentary (a forum), were melted by the Germans in 1944. The town also hosts the National Institute of Science and Technology of the Sea [fr] (Intechmer), Tourlaville. On 28 June 2013, this became the professional maritime and aquaculture lycée. Visualizing the fight from a sailboat, Manet immortalised it in The Battle of the Kearsarge and the Alabama. Bei so vielen schönen Ausflugszielen und Sehenswürdigkeiten rund um rund um Cherbourg wird dir bestimmt nicht langweilig. As a deep-water port, Cherbourg was of strategic importance, very heavily protected against seaborne assault. It is also the headquarters of the Operational Training of Surveillance and Territorial Information of Cherbourg (Cherbourg FOSIT) which brings together thirteen semaphores and the lookout of the maritime district. Kanton La Hague; Kanton Les Pieux; Kanton Tourlaville; Kanton Valognes; Kanton Val-de-Saire; Gemeinden. It was only his son Charles the Noble who recovered it in 1393. Entdecken Sie die Vauban-Türme, die von der UNESCO in die Liste der Weltkulturgüter aufgenommen wurden. Lass dich von den besten Freizeittipps der Region für dein nächstes Abenteuer inspirieren. At the end of the 1860s, the ships of the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company and the Hamburg America Line anchored in the harbour before crossing the Atlantic. Metallurgy has long represented a large source of employment in the agglomeration. , In cycling, Cherbourg has been a city of arrival for the Tour de France on sixteen occasions: 1911 to 1914 (four consecutive years), from 1919 to 1929 (eleven consecutive years), and finally in 1986. The work of the port led the intensification and spread of a modernising and developing Cherbourg, while contractors, owners, and local merchants were getting richer. The cinema occupies a significant place in the life of Cherbourg. The sub-prefect is Jacques Troncy, former sub-prefect of Montbéliard, appointed 17 March 2014.. Cherbourg is also a training hub of the armed forces through the School of Military Applications of Atomic Energy [fr] (EAMEA), in charge of the joint education of military specialists in material sciences, of techniques and of nuclear safety and the École des fourriers de Querqueville, devoted to education of the officers of the three armed forces in business administration, management, human resources and the restoration to the training of specialists of the restoration of the national gendarmerie and the homes of the Navy staff. The place was then transformed into a hospital, into a prison, and into the Martin des Pallières Barracks for the marine infantry. The largest city in the Department of Manche, it is the result of the merger of the communes of Cherbourg and Octeville. The work of the sea wall was concluded by the construction of the small harbour (Homet sea wall, 1899-1914 and sea wall of the Flemings, 1921-1922). Select an option below to see step-by-step directions and to compare ticket prices and travel times in Rome2rio's travel planner. The former barracks of the Abbey, dating back to the start of the works of the large dam in 18th-century, has housed one of the five regional centres of history of the National Navy, alongside Brest, Lorient, Rochefort and Toulon, since 1970. Preise anzeigen. After restoration by Pierre Bataille of Poclain, they were each placed in 1990 and 1993 on a roundabout, the Minerva of Philippe-Laurent Roland, near the Cité de la Mer, the Themis of Jean-Antoine Houdon at the foot of the Montagne du Roule. Cherbourg is situated at the mouth of the Divette [fr] and at the south of the bay between Cap Lévi [fr] to the east and Cap de La Hague to the west, Cherbourg-Octeville is 120 km (75 mi) from the English coast. The sable signifies prudence and constancy in adversity, the azure denotes activity and the seas. La Hague bildet eine Halbinsel innerhalb der Halbinsel Cotentin. The network covers the whole of the metropolitan area. They practice on the Vauville beach (9 km). The film was shot in the summer of 1963, and which still contributes to the international renown of the city. , The fishing industry is affected by the crisis affecting the entire industry, and the port has seen its fleet decline. Cap de la Hague is a cape at the tip of the Cotentin peninsula in Normandy, France. The aquaculture and marine high school (102 pupils). Therefore, the annual average household income is lower than the national average (€13,730 for the city, compared with €15,027 in France) despite an average monthly salary (€1,590 in 2001) highest job growth of the department and higher than that of Caen-Bayeux (€1,550).. Name Arrondissement Population Census 1975-02-20 Population Census 1982-03-04 Population Census 1990-03-05 After a rampage by January 1794, it had added a new square bell tower 26 m (85 ft) in 1828 and restored in neo-flamboyant style in 1865. Great Outdoors. A work of 61.5 m (202 ft) in length, the church houses a large organ by Duputel (1885), classified as a historic monument since 1990 and the stained glass windows of 1834, 1858–60 and 1949–58.  At Avenue Carnot, the former Grouard warehouses must leave room for parking and a place through from the wharf from the Quai de l'Entrepôt to the Pasteur Hospital, to 180 dwellings by Presqu'île habitat and ADIM (Vinci company) then 100 extra in a second round of development.. He charged Joseph Cachin with the resumption of the work of the sea wall, the digging of military outer harbour, and the construction of the new arsenal. In 1053, the city was one of the four main cities of the Duchy of William the Conqueror to receive an annuity in perpetuity for the maintenance of one hundred needy. According to Pierre-Yves Lambert, the Celtic element corio- means "army, troop" and the element vallo- similar to the Latin vallum, would be "rampart, fortification".  Established in 1873, it was embellished over generations by the Favier family.. La Hague, well known for its wind-beaten headlands, also enjoys a particularly mild climate. The D650 is used to connect Cherbourg to the west coast of the Cotentin peninsula. , From the Empire, the coat of arms was accompanied by external ornaments: Mural crown with five rounds of argent, crest crossed fess a caduceus bypassed same on which are suspended two scallops used as mantling, one dexter olive, the other sinister oak, argent knotted and fastened by strips of azure. Lawful or otherwise exchanges also took place with the Channel Islands (tanbark, grain and wool).  But its use as a place of war hampered the development of Cherbourg as major commercial port, compared to Le Havre. Anneville-en-Saire (50013) 2. It also benefits from the IGP of the cider of Normandy, Normandy pork and Normandy poultry [fr].  The Bassins quarter, released by the channelling of the Divette and the filling of the retaining channel, is expected to profoundly transform the commercial landscape of the city, carried by the construction of a new shopping centre and the renovation of downtown. Sud-est, corresponding to the districts of du Roule and Maupas, traditionally for workers. Jetzt entdecken! The postal codes from prior to the merger of 2000 have been preserved: 50130 for addresses of the former territory of Octeville, 50100 for Cherbourg.  It has hosted the services of the Chamber of commerce and industry of Cherbourg-Cotentin [fr] since 1991. Carentan in Normandy is a quaint town surrounded by vast wetlands and marshes teeming with wildlife - but it is most famous as the site of the Battle of Carentan during the Battle of Normandy in WW2. The Danish King Harold moved there in 946. The streams of the Bucaille and the Fay, which watered the Croûte du Homet, disappeared in the 18th century during the construction of the military port. At the origin of the military port, Napoleon (1769–1821), who visited the city in 1811, "Revient" in Cherbourg in 1840 during the return of his remains to France, aboard La Belle Poule, before being taken to Les Invalides. During the First World War, traffic was completely suspended. , Cherbourg was the first French marina by number of visitors in 2007, having 10,117 boats for 28,713 overnight stays in 2007, and the total impact estimated at €4 million for the Cherbourg agglomeration. At the end of a winding road named chemin des Résistants [Path of Resistants], the fort offers a panoramic view of the city and the harbour. The Cotentin, conquered by Quintus Titurius Sabinus in 56 BC, was divided between the pagus constantiensis ("County of Coutances") and the pagus coriovallensis ("County of Coriallo"), within Gallia Lugdunensis. Nos maisons à vendre - La Hague 50440 Créez votre alerte email. The Montebello garden, opened in 1872 in the street of the same name, within the Napoleon III Quarter, was created at the initiative of the Horticultural Society of Cherbourg for its members. Recommended option. Traffic doubled, reaching 600,000 tons in 1918.. Following the opening of the CGR [fr] multiplex, the withdrawal of the Soredic [fr], which operated Club 6 (Rue de la Paix) since 1983 and the Odeon (Rue Foch) since 1991, resulted in the closure in 2004 of the first and the revival of the latter city centre cinema, labelled as Art et essai by Fadila Chambelland, the former manager. The British destroyed military buildings and warehouses before departing. Cherbourg dans le Cotentin, s'est imposée avec la Cité de la Mer, ancienne gare maritime transatlantique, transformée en un équipement culturel, pédagogique et scientifique.  This urbanisation resulted in the dilution of the geographic and sociological boundaries of the agglomeration resulting in the creation in 1970 of the urban community [fr] until the merger of Cherbourg and Octeville in 2000. The old Route nationale 801 [fr] (reclassified as D901), which connects Cap de la Hague to Barfleur, crosses the city from east to west. Registered in Parliament 18 December 1771 . After the bitter failure of Cherbourg-Land, this problem has not been resolved at the level of the Cotentin. During the Seven Years' War, the British briefly occupied the town after the Raid on Cherbourg in 1758. Cherbourg also had seven producers of starch. Departing from Cherbourg, the D650 takes a southwesterly direction to Les Pieux and then along to join the Côte des Isles (the Channel Islands coast) to Barneville-Carteret. Built by René Levavasseur [fr] from 1928 and inaugurated in 1933 by President Lebrun, it could accommodate two ships simultaneously. The church of Notre-Dame du Roule was built at the foot of the Montagne du Roule between 1832 and 1842 under the leadership of the "poet-Barber" Michel Legoupil and by the subscription of the faithful of the peripheral quarters of Roule which grew, such as the districts of the Vœu and the Polle. Cherbourg-Octeville, the largest city of the department, is the main centre for administration and services for the Cotentin. Opened on 15 February 1869, it was renamed René-Le-Bas, named after the first doctor who joined the Free Naval Forces and died in 1942 aboard the submarine Surcouf.  The Compagnie industrielle des télécommunications (CIT), merged the following decade with Alcatel, it also opened an assembly plant for electronic telephone exchanges, at Querqueville in the 1960s. Intercités services to Paris-Saint-Lazare take three hours on average. The Jacques Prévert Municipal Library, founded in 1831 and opened in 1832, holds the second largest collection in the region, after that of Caen.  It means: "the rural area of Otti", a Scandinavian male name also found in Octeville-l'Avenel, Octeville-sur-Mer and Otby (Lincolnshire, Ottebi, 11th century). The maritime prefect [fr] is the Vice Admiral of the Squadron, Bruno Nielly. , With 40,500 passengers in 2007, the airport had lost 30% of its commercial passengers, and 10% of its total traffic over a year. Unterstützen Sie diesen Veranstalter: Die Reise-Community macht momentan schwierige Zeiten durch. Octeville-Bourg, from both sides of the Salengro and Barbusse streets.